Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Playback please!!

Of all the days that I have been a witness to in my 365X23.5 days of existence, my days at IIT Bombay were the most eventful (Gargi too, but it’ll require a separate post, or a bunch of it..more like..). Not that I have had Paris Hilton’s life so far, but relatively, one can always state!

So where should I start? You might discover sporadic entries that will eventually fill up this part of cyber space with anecdotes of my hostel life. Second semester followed by the fourth, then sudden references from the first and so on. That could have a lot to do with the enormity of those experiences (or a lack of chrono-logic in my system..whatever!..). So I’ll start with my official last day of Masters (flashback movies leave a bigger impact!)... I was miserable (understated of course), not because of my grades or anything, my profs loved me for being a fairly good student (that ain’t difficult in a batch of eleven..believe me!). I wanted those two years to play all over again, like a music piece I was beginning to love.

MJ (that’s me by the way, it’s the way I address myself out of sheer vanity) -after her stint at IIT was a different person (to say the least!)… She was a proud ex-cultural council member (who with her cult team managed to shatter some of the biggest notions existing in the insti- girls ain’t that good at comedy, hostel-11 has no enthu, to quote a few), a loved friend, a nine pointer (RE: that ain't difficult in a batch of eleven) and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a member of the “Neelas, Kales and Reddy’s family” (love u guys!). Mom was (she still is, to set the record straight) extremely proud of me..What more could I ask for man? So for all intents and purposes, I had a rocking time!

All those moments kept on featuring in my mind, in a typical Bollywood feature film style (something similar to flashes of “cute moments spent together” followed by the sudden..and almost expected..”Gosh!! I love him!!”) Everyone who mattered was there. It felt great to be a part of this “rowdy” group (yeah..this is how folks addressed us!). Obviously it was followed by watery eyed hugs (though I was literally howling…emotional variety that I am).

Throughout my time in the hostel, I kept on comparing Delhi to Mumbai, how home is a better place (on sentimental grounds, no rebut here) and how I would love to take the first flight to Delhi, after my semester gets over (ask my friends, they’ll tell you), etc.,etc. But that day, you could probably not recognize me (or you would have suspected split personality). I fell head over heels for my campus man! Natural!

I am aware of the “life moves on” and “there is life beyond campus” crap, but every student (can bet a fortune on that), goes through the same curve. All good things come to an end and (like hell yes) sooner that you expect. So quoting a dear friend “You can take me out of my insti, but you can’t take the insti out of me”. Period!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Megha, Being a rather reknowned author myself, i would say, uhave the gift of gab(in the written sense).Although Im beginning to doubt if your wish to be called MJ is out of affection for another celebrity with the same initials?
    Cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kajal,
    Thanks a lot man!! I buy your point, this is another reason why i like calling myself "MJ"!

    @Latha- You are a part of that senti buddy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Megha
    Nice initiative!! It really feels great that someone among 11 wants to share and cherish those golden moments that would not only be difficult to forget but would also certainly rejuvenate the life that was lost since the day we left (or we have to left) that great place. To date the heart and eyes goes back in the practical classes supervised by our beloved Mr. PP, then kaju kand followed by the environ. classes.....oh god! the list is endless and being the most fortunate (among 11) that I got the max. oppurtunity to witness some of the cracky moments of our present HOD, I can only end my post by writing "THOSE WERE THE BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rajat..thanks man! And yes..our beloved Prof.PP must be really missing us no? The Kaju Kand still cracks me up..this was the day when our batch actually started bonding! Missing you guys.. And--> Hail Prof.PP!!! :D :D

    @Tanya, Kritika- Thanks!! This coming from the both of you means a lot!! Seriously! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'For all intents and purposes' Megha, a great initiative... I am feeling all nostalgic now! But knowing your quirky and comic writing style I think you have underplayed in this one. Well, looking forward to the next post. This blog sure goes on my RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh!! The pressure of expectations!!..Thanks Czu! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing post... brings back the IIT life memories!!!!! and how ironic it might sound, that a prof, who all in our class couldnt tolerate, brought our class together!!!!

    ReplyDelete